Most things have "Made in" information on a label or on their packaging. Your followthethings.com bag, like all supermarket shopping bags, says nothing. A followthethings.com shopper does not give up easily though. Your mission is to find out what its "Made in" label could have said.
Start your detective work on alibaba.com. This is the site we used to find a company to make our bags. We used it to find out who made bags for Tesco, Sainsbury's, Lidl and others. We wanted our bags to be exactly the same. Who would be able to do this? The same companies!
Your challenge is to locate and tell us about one
factory where your followthethings.com bag might have been made. To do this, we must enter the world of 'business-to-business' trade:
- go to alibaba.com and enter in its search box one of the supermarket chains mentioned above plus 'pp woven shopping bag';
- look through the pages of bag photos that come up in your results, find your supermarket's bag, and click the photo;
- write down the name of the company that manufactured that bag, then click the 'contact details' below (you will find this in the box on the right hand side of your screen);
- copy down the manufacturer's full address and then search for this address on the map below (hint: factory photos on company websites - showing roof colour, for example - can help to locate the exact factory on a satellite image);
- send us the name, address and tips for locating the factory on the map (e.g. "I think it's the building with the red roof on the corner of...");*
- we send you an email with the secret code to unlock your missions points and add a place marker to this map, with "Found by [your explorer name]" in its information box.
this research should locate more than one factory where your bag could have been made. This map should fill up as more explorers do this mission!View Where are reusable shopping bags made? in a larger map
If you're 13 or over, please post this information as a comment below or in your
explorer log. If you're under 13, please email it to
firstname.lastname@example.org, making sure to include the name of this
mission in the title of your email.